Ascension Day Quiz
1. In how many and which of the historic creeds of the Church is the Ascension affirmed?
a. Three: the Apostles', Nicene and Athanasian Creeds b. None: the Creeds were concerned with
theological, not historical, matters
c. Two: the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds
d. Two: the Nicene and
2. What is the liturgical colour
most often associated with Ascension Day in the Western
a. White b.
Red c. Green d. Purple
3. Is the
Feast of the Ascension always and everywhere observed on the 40th day
a. No, sometimes it is kept on the 49th day after Easter.
sometimes it is celebrated
on June 15.
c. No, sometimes it is
kept on the 7th Sunday of Easter.
d. Yes, as this is the
historically accurate date.
4. Venantius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus, a 5th Century
poet and bishop, wrote a
poem entitled "Salve, festa dies" which has been variously translated. Versions of this hymn
on Easter Day, Ascension Day and Pentecost. Which of the following
lines is sung
on Ascension? a. Day
when our God showed forth / The power of His mighty hand.
b. Day when
our Lord was raised / Breaking
the kingdom of death. c. Day when
our risen Lord / Rose in the
heavens to reign. d. Day when the Holy Ghost / Shone in the world full of grace
5. How did Ascension Island, located in the middle of the
South Atlantic Ocean, get its
a. It was named by botanists after the fern Pteris adscensionis
which grows there.
named it because of the powerful radar array located there to track the ascent of rockets launched
from the southeastern United States.
c. It was named
after Mount Ascension, the volcanic peak
responsible for its existence. Id. t was discovered in 1503 by Alphonse d'Albuquerque on Ascension Day
6. The Gospel according to Saint Luke says the Ascension occurred in the vicinity of
Bethany (Luke 24:50-51). Where does the Acts of the Apostles say it happened?
Mount Sinai b. Galilee c. The Mount of Olives d. Mount Zion
7. In which of Shakespeare's plays does a character speak the following lines? "Is this Ascension-day? Did not the prophet say that before Ascension-day at noon my crown I should give off? Even so I have: I did suppose it should be on constraint: But, heaven be thank'd, it is but voluntary." a. Richard II b. Henry V c. Richard III d. King John
8. There is a long-standing custom in England of "beating the bounds" on (or near) Ascension Day. What is involved? a. Marking the limits of the field where cricket matches will be played during the summer. b. Pummeling everyone with the misfortune to have the surname of Bounds. c. Processing around the parochial boundaries, pausing for prayer at particular landmarks. d. Threshing stalks of wheat (and other grains) which have been bound together into stooks for drying in the fields
9. Salvador Dali painted a painting called "The
Ascension of Christ." What feature of Christ's body is most
prominent in this painting? a.His
feet b .is smile c.His
head d.His wounded side
10. Which of these Ascension Day food custom(s) is/are factual? a. Armenians made dolmas -- stuffed grape leaves. b. Italians brought beans and grapes to the church to be blessed by the priest. c.All of these are actual Ascension Day customs d. Amish in the United States went fishing.
Three: the Apostles', Nicene and Athanasian Creeds
White is used in the West from Easter Day until the Eve of Pentecost when the
liturgical colour changes to red.
No, sometimes it is kept on the 7th Sunday of Easter.
Day when our risen Lord / Rose in the heavens to reign.
It was discovered in 1503 by Alphonse d'Albuquerque on Ascension Day.
The Mount of Olives
Processing around the parochial boundaries, pausing for prayer at particular landmarks.
All of these are actual Ascension Day customs.