Mildenhall Anglican Church


For Weddings and Wedding Blessings please contact our administrator Jane by or by phone during her office hours on 07596927123 - or just drop in to the Cottage Rooms (next to St Mary's Church in Mildenhall) on  Fridays 11am to 3pm.

 Costs for 2016

Church 415

Banns £27

Marriage Certificate £4

Organist £85

Verger £35

Total £566

Extras     Bells £100        Choir £100   Heating October - March  £85

Calling of Banns only £40

Practical Planning for your wedding in St Mary's

After deciding on the date on which you would like to be married, you need to apply by returning a banns of marriage application form. This is a legal document and forms the basis on which you will be married. You must supply the correct information.

If you have been married before

If either one of you have been in a previous marriage, then an interview process has to be followed and permission to marry in church has to be granted by the bishop before the wedding day can be confirmed. The decree absolute dissolving your previous marriage will need to be shown.

The calling of banns

Unless you are being married by licence, banns need to be read on three Sundays in the church in which you are being married. These give notice of your marriage and asking if anyone knows any reason why you may not marry. This will usually be on the first three Sundays of the month before your wedding. You will be told of the dates and many couples try to be present for the calling of these banns. However, it is even better if you are able to go to the church regularly anyway and become part of the church family.

Important information about banns for those who do not live in our parish - please read.

Making Preparations for your wedding service:

Choosing Entrance and Recessional Music

Traditional Choices are:

  • Bridal March and Wedding March
  • Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
  • Jesu joy of man’s desiring
  • Trumpet Voluntary (Purcell)
  • Trumpet Voluntary (Clark)
  • Ave Maria
  • Ode to Joy
  • Toccata and Fugue
  • Handel’s Water Music

More information

You may like to visit this helpful site which gives lots of useful information about planning a church wedding.

This application form needs to be given to Jane McKenzie our administrator, with a non-returnable booking fee of £25.

If neither of you live in the parish of the church in which you want to be married you need to meet one of the following criteria:

  • one of you was baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish
  • one of you has ever lived in the parish for 6 months or more
  • one of you has regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more
  • one of your parents has lived in the parish for six months or more in their child’s lifetime
  • one of your parents has regularly attended public worship for six months or more in their child’s lifetime
  • your parents or grandparents were married in the parish

If none of the above are applicable under some exceptional circumstances a licence can be applied for from the Archbishop.