Thank you to all who sent shoeboxes again this year. A total of 130+ were sent on from Freckenham on 6th November. Well done everyone
St.Mary’s Church, Mildenhall
Christmas Card Competiton
Open to everyone.
Any size and design welcome.
Books or book tokens as prizes.
Three categories: Primary school Key stage 1, Primary school Key stage 2,
Secondary school and adults.
All entries by 4pm Saturday December 3rd.
Preferably to be put into the special box at church (open 9am-4pm) or given to Rev.Sue Leathley, 8, Church Walk, Mildenhall, IP28 7ED.
Please include your name, school, class, or if an adult, contact phone number (this will be only used for competition purposes).
We would like to display your cards in church for others to see during the Tree Festival.
Winners will be announced at the Advent Tree Service on Sunday December 4thth in St.Mary’s church, starting at 4pm.
There will be a new format for the lighting up service this year:
From 4pm there will be activities, crafts and quizzes.
At 4.25pm the competition winners will be announced, followed by a short service and lighting up of trees. Then tea (You are welcome to bring easy to eat food for tea. Drinks will be provided.)We look forward to seeing your cards
Thanksgiving and Memorial Service Sunday 11 th December ;-
with the lighting of candles and remembering of loved ones. Invitations are sent to people bereaved this year with whom we have had contact through the church, but everyone is welcome. There is an opportunity to light a candle to remember, (no matter how long ago) someone who has died. If you know someone who may appreciate an encouragement to come to this service please use one of the extra invitations to let them know of his opportunity. And let’s be there to welcome and worship alongside visitors.
The Big Carol Sing
Sunday Dec 18th at 11am
Informal community Carol Service in aid of the Children’s Society
Sponsor a carol- choose a carol to be sung for a donation to the Children’s Society
Volunteer your choir, group or school class to sing a carol (contact Sue Leathley (711930)
Collection bucket for any donations to Children’s Society
Refreshments after Service
Come and fill the church with song
Would you like to decorate one of the window sills for Christmas, with a nativity theme. Please speak to Anne to book one.
to take place on on 2nd or 3rd Decemeber
Thurs 1st December set up trees from 7pm
Fri 2nd Sat & 3rd December Decorate trees from 9am
Sun 4th Turning on the Lights afternoon
Activities & Crafts from 4pm
Christmas Card Competition 4.25pm
Short service & switch on at 4.30pm
Followed by shared tea.
(Please bring easy to eat food)
Mon 4th December – Mon 2nd January
The Church will be open 2-4pm every afternoon
Tues 3rd & Wed 4th Jan Un-decorate trees
Thurs 5th Jan Big Clean up
Could you please sign up on the sheet if you are able to welcome visitors between 2 & 4pm,
Christmas card Board.
This will be available from the first week of December. Donations may be given to the chosen charity. This is a way of giving and sending greetings to friends at church. Instead of spending on lots of cards, we can help others in need. Let’s support each other in doing this, without feeling any pressure to exchange lots of cards. This year we will be sending our donations to provide Winter survival kits for Syrian children this Christmas. £20 can make all the difference. Each kit will include things like Emergency food, blankets Mattresses Stoves.
Merry Mildenhall Christmas Evening
Thursday December 8th
5.15-5.40pm Carol singing, Mildenhall Market Cross. Please come and sing about the birth of Jesus. Carol sheets provided, please bring a torch
Recycling Along with the bee world area, as part of our mandate to look after God’s creation we are trying to re-cycle as much as we can. To help in this- please separate the rubbish – In the waste paper baskets- for the blue bin- dry cardboard (please empty left over dregs of coffee and tea from paper cups before putting in the basket), tinfoil, re-cyclable plastic eg. plastic bottles. Plastic bags, cellophane, matchsticks and other things which are presently un-recyclable need to be put in the red bins which are emptied into the grey bins. Thanks.
News for your interest and for your help in putting into action:
1. The grass in the area under the trees opposite the north door is beginning to grow, so the red fencing will be taken away. However, we still need to let this grass become established. So, please avoid parking here. There are now signs on the spaces next to the Cottage rooms as a reminder that these are for people coming to the church who have limited mobility.
2. The fire policy requires a 2nd exit to be open - this will usually be the south door. We will need to do a fire drill in a service soon- as soon as we have the welcome team primed about their roles.
3. Please continue to help to keep distractions to a minimum, by waiting to move from, or to your seat during a pause in the service or a hymn. This is especially so during for example the important time of banns being read, the quiet of prayers, of notices being given, or other times of focusing and listening. Thank you.
4. At a Holy Communion service, for health reasons, as an alternative to taking wine from the chalice, we have some small cups to save you trying to dip your bread in the chalice and the problems that come from this. So, please allow the Holy Communion assistant to give you a small cup and then give it back to them after you have drunk the wine. Thank you. 5. The church may stay open until 8pm on light evenings to allow more people to visit.
6. If you would like to make your gifts to the church by a standing order directly into the church account this would be very welcome. If you are giving in this way, please do not feel that you need to put something on the plate when it passes. Or, if you feel strongly that you would like to have something to put on the plate, we could make a card for you to put on, as a symbol of your gift.
7. If you would like to set up a standing order please speak to Stephanie Palmer. Also, please see her if you area tax payer and you have not yet signed a Gift Aid declaration. This enables the church to reclaim the tax that you have paid on which will increase your gift at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you.